Captain Jot Owens of Wrightsville, NC is one of the most well-known charter guides along the Carolinas. He speaks at numerous seminars every year, including his own that takes place every winter to a sell-out crowd. We asked Jot his thoughts on the top 10 things fishermen can do to become better anglers, and here’s what he had to say.
1. Manage Your Time….We’re talking about the time that you fish or don’t. Make sure that you have a place, and how long you plan to fish that spot. Taking care not to fish it too long or give up on it too soon. Have a plan and stick to it.
2. Don’t Overthink……Take care not to overthink the tide, the weather or your lure choice to name a few. You’ll be surprised at how well those less than perfect conditions can turn out great results.
3. Create a Plan the Night Before…..Don’t wait until leaving the dock to begin thinking of things like where you’re going fish, what you’re going to fish for and with what lure.
4. Don’t Always Chase the Other Anglers……Following other anglers is a great way to waste your day fishing. Organize your own day and follow your own plans. Go with your instincts.
5. Make Your Rigs the Night Before……Make your rigs the night before or even days and weeks before. This saves you time on the water and increases your time with bait in the water. It also saves you from discovering that you’re out of one or more of the items you need to make the next when you’re on the water. It’s also a great way to relax and think about that day of fishing ahead.
6. Don’t Overload the Boat….Overloading the boat is not only dangerous, but it can also have negative impact on your day of fishing. More noise, more confusion and less fish.
7. Be Courteous to Other Anglers…..Not fishing too close to other fisherman or creating a wake when coming near other anglers, as well as being quiet when fishing around others goes a long way. Many times the other anglers will reciprocate by doing the same or giving you advice on how the fish are biting and what they’re biting on.
8. Take a Serious Look At the Weather……Understand how the changes in the weather impact fishing. Things like a cold front can make a big difference in your success. Also a change in wind direction can change an inlet from a lake like condition to washing machine.
9. Keep Your Decks Clear and Well Organized……A disorganized deck can be dangerous and noisy. The sound of a cooler sliding across the deck or someone tripping over a misplaced rod can result in the fish moving away from that great spot.
10. Fish Often…..Fishing often results in catching more and bigger fish. Anglers that fish more are more in tune with the conditions that create better results. It’s like any other sport, the more you practice the better you become.
The post 10 Steps To Being A Better Angler appeared first on Fishing Reports | Saltwater Angler.
Captiva: The Complete Guide
Experience Sport Fishing in Wilmington, NC: A Guide to the Best Fishing Charters
El Nino & Possible Good Summer: El Nino event confirmed